This course was originally held in March 2020. Purchase an on-demand ticket to get access to the recording and materials.
Many of us are “called” to our work because of its important social justice mission and are motivated by making progress in achieving that important mission and vision. Most of us start out doing direct service and, as our career progresses, get promoted into supervisory roles. Most of us that are in supervisory roles would probably not say that our ‘calling’ was to be a supervisor. Yet, we understand that our ability to provide both good direction and support to our staff is critically important in achieving our goals as an organization.
This online course will explore what it means to lead in a way that is in alignment with our core values. We will learn a framework for understanding better when our staff need a “boss” and when they need a “coach”, and tips will be provided on how to be both a more effective boss and coach!
Ultimately, improving your coaching skills will result in better supported staff that are more effective in achieving your important mission and vision! In this two-part series Mike Beebe will provide an interactive online training that will cover both leadership models and foundational skills of a strong “Coaching Supervisor”
Topics will include
- Situational Leadership
- Giving & Receiving Feedback
- Leading from your Values
- Engaged Listening & Inquiry Skills
We will take time as well to prepare and practice addressing common supervision challenges in the workplace.
Participants will learn foundational coaching skills which include listening, inquiry, giving and receiving feedback skills. Additionally participants will learn how to apply the situational leadership model as a tool for determining when it’s time to coach staff vs. direct staff.
Session 1: Setting the Stage – The Good and Effective Supervisor
- Explore what makes a “good supervisor”
- Identify our core values and what it means to lead from our values
- Learn the Situational Leadership framework as a tool for balancing supportive and directive behavior as a Supervisor
Session 2: The Coaching Supervisor
- Listening & Inquiry Skills – tips for engaged listening and crafting better coaching questions
- Learn tips for better receiving and integrating feedback including 3 common ‘triggers’ that get in the way of receiving feedback
- Learn a framework for giving both appreciative and developmental feedback
$60 – Register for the on-demand course and receive the recordings by email immediately
Who Should Attend
About the Speaker
Mike Beebe believes that leadership developed today can make way for a more just tomorrow. For over 25 years, he has facilitated growth in nonprofit, public and private sector, working with thousands of individuals, groups and organizations to build leadership for a more equitable world.
Mike provides skill-building and leadership development training in areas such as meeting and group facilitation, supervision, as well as diversity, equity and inclusion through F.A.C.E. Consulting Collaborative, a team he launched in 2013 with four other facilitators to build safe learning spaces for change and equity in community. As a Certified Technology of Participation (ToP) Facilitator, he also provides facilitation services and individual professional coaching.
- See a full list of his clients
- Learn more about Leadership for Change
- Sign-up to learn about upcoming training opportunities