This course was originally held in March 2021. Purchase an on-demand ticket to get access to the recording and materials.
What does “succession planning” mean in your organization? Nonprofit executives and their boards often react nervously, even negatively, to the idea of leadership succession discussions. And according to BoardSource, 73% of nonprofits don’t have a written succession plan.
A change in leadership is always a challenge, and COVID-19 is putting more pressure than ever on nonprofits. Especially now, not having a succession plan creates a huge risk for your organization if there’s a sudden vacancy in a key position. But leadership transitions also provide opportunities for growth if your organization has a culture focused on developing the human capital it needs for the future.
Third Sector Company and Washington Nonprofits are pleased to offer this two-part webinar series to help your organization build such a culture. “Succession Planning Re-Imagined” will:
- Frame succession planning as essential to your organization’s long-term sustainability
- Outline the essential components of an effective succession plan
- Present five options for beginning your organization’s leadership continuity work
- Provide specific tools and resources to support that work
- Empower you to become the champion for succession planning and leadership continuity in your organization
“We are developing our succession plan this year for approval next year. One of the things I will do is use the inventory list to check for missing areas and as I draft sections it will incorporate a DEI lens for its inclusion and role in the overall assessment/review of the plan.”
Part 1: Setting the Stage
This session will frame succession planning as a key aspect of mission success and sustainability, lay a conceptual groundwork for the culture of leadership continuity, and demonstrate that there are multiple options for beginning the leadership continuity process. Participants also will explore the first of those options in detail. After completing this session, you will be equipped to:
- Understand and discuss the critical need for succession planning in your organization.
- Identify the essential components of an effective succession plan.
- Assess your organization’s leadership continuity landscape.
- Facilitate generative discussions about leadership continuity in your organization.
Part 2: Advancing the Succession Culture
This session will examine four additional options for beginning the succession planning process. After completing this session, you will be able to:
- Assemble an inventory of organizational information critical to smooth operation during a leadership transition.
- Recommend a board leadership pipeline strategy for your organization.
- Facilitate board adoption of three essential leadership succession policies.
Initiate a generative discussion about HR practices that cultivate talent stewardship.
- Leverage your organization’s strategic plan to advance leadership continuity.
$60 – Register for the on-demand course and receive the recordings by email immediately.
Who Should Attend
Captioning: Closed captioning is available.
About the Speaker
Randy Brinson, Nonprofit Leadership & Governance Strategist
Randy Brinson is Third Sector Company’s Senior Strategist for Board and Executive Leadership Development. Certified in nonprofit board consulting (BoardSource) and leadership succession planning (Third Sector Company), Randy is a trusted partner in chief executive searches and leads governance trainings, board retreats and strategic planning activities. He also has interim leadership experience and is passionate about helping organizations build capacity to better serve their missions.