- Each board member has a role in fundraising and stewarding the organization through budgetary accountability.
- The board uses planning to help map out and achieve fundraising goals.
- Implementing policies and systems helps the board ensure the organization’s fundraising happens in compliance with the law and best practices.
- Board members need training, tools, systems, and stories to be effective ambassadors for the organization and to make progress on assigned fundraising tasks
Here are some questions to think about...
- What would greater board engagement in fundraising look and feel like at your organization?
- How could greater board engagement in fundraising improve the oversight of funds received and allow your organization to be more strategic with fundraising?
- How can you use fundraising to grow the community committed to advancing the cause for which your nonprofit works?
- Learn more about ethical fundraising practices and donor rights through the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) resources on ethics, which includes AFP’s Code of Ethical Standards and The Donor Bill of Rights.
- Explore the National Council of Nonprofits Gift Acceptance Policies resource to help you review your current policy for improvement areas or to get you started (samples included).
- Organize a thank-a-thon to call, write notes, or record short video messages to update donors on your organization and the impact their gift has made.
Boards in Gear Guide
Start by downloading the Boards in Gear Guide that includes activities, worksheets, and reflection questions. As ...
Chapter: Fundraising (BIG) – Guide
Download this chapter's guide before watching the video.
Chapter: Fundraising (BiG) – Video Transcript
Transcript with visual descriptions of the Boards in Gear Fundraising video
Public Support Test
Public Support Test memo by LaVerne Woods, Esq.
Sample Gift Acceptance Policy
Sample Gift Acceptance Policy from National Council of Nonprofits
2022 Nonprofit Association of Washington Annual Report
Learn more about financial and legal considerations around giving and fundraising through Nonprofit Association of Washington’s Finance Unlocked for Nonprofits and Let’s Go Legal toolkits.