Thursday, April 18 & Thursday, April 25, 2024
12:00PM – 1:30PM PT
Online via Zoom – This series will be recorded
What does “succession planning” mean in your organization? Nonprofit executives and their boards often react nervously, even negatively, to the idea of leadership succession discussions. And according to BoardSource, 73% of nonprofits don’t have a written succession plan.
A change in leadership is always a challenge, and COVID-19 has put more pressure than ever on nonprofits. Not having a succession plan creates a huge risk for your organization if there’s a sudden vacancy in a key position. But leadership transitions also provide opportunities for growth if your organization has a culture focused on developing the human capital it needs for the future.
The Nonprofit Association of Washington and Third Sector Company are pleased to offer this two-part webinar series to help your organization build such a culture. “Succession Planning Re-Imagined” will:
- Frame succession planning as essential to your organization’s long-term sustainability
- Outline the essential components of an effective succession plan
- Present five options for beginning your organization’s leadership continuity work
- Provide specific tools and resources to support that work
- Empower you to become the champion for succession planning and leadership continuity in your organization
Part 1: Setting the Stage – This session will frame succession planning as a key aspect of mission success and sustainability, lay a conceptual groundwork for the culture of leadership continuity, and demonstrate that there are multiple options for beginning the leadership continuity process. Participants also will explore the first of those options in detail. After completing this session, you will be equipped to:
- Understand and discuss the critical need for succession planning in your organization.
- Identify the essential components of an effective succession plan.
- Assess your organization’s leadership continuity landscape.
- Facilitate generative discussions about leadership continuity in your organization.
Part 2: Advancing the Succession Culture – This session will examine four additional options for beginning the succession planning process. After completing this session, you will be able to:
- Assemble an inventory of organizational information critical to smooth operation during a leadership transition.
- Recommend a board leadership pipeline strategy for your organization.
- Facilitate board adoption of three essential leadership succession policies .
- Initiate a generative discussion about HR practices that cultivate talent stewardship.
- Leverage your organization’s strategic plan to advance leadership continuity.
$60 for Nonprofit Association of Washington Members (check the member resources page for the coupon code) and members of participating state associations (contact your state association for the special discount code)
$120 for Not-yet-members. Interested in becoming a member? Find more information here.
Cost should not be a barrier to participate. Please contact us if you have any requests, concerns, or questions.
Who Should Attend
This series is intended for executive directors, senior staff, and board members and officers. Funders and others interested in supporting effective leadership transition also would benefit.
These sessions will be recorded. Breakout rooms will not be included in the recording. Registrants will receive the recording and materials by email after each session.
Captioning: We will have automated captioning enabled.
Interpretation: Please indicate during registration if you have an interpretation request. Typically, we need at least two weeks in order to schedule an interpreter.
Visual Descriptions: Presenters will include visual descriptions of themselves and the slides to give a person who is low-vision, blind, or calling in without video a sense of space and place.
If you have additional accessibility requests, please let us know when you register.
About the Speaker
Randy Brinson is Third Sector Company’s Senior Strategist for Board Governance and Leadership Succession. Certified in nonprofit board consulting (BoardSource) and leadership succession planning (Third Sector Company), Randy is a trusted partner in chief executive searches and leads governance trainings, board retreats, and strategic planning activities. He’s also a frequent presenter for Board Chairs Academy, has served as an interim leader, and is passionate about helping organizations build capacity to better serve their missions.
Thanks to Our Partner
Presented by Nonprofit Association of Washington and Third Sector Company, in partnership with Common Good Vermont, Maine Association of Nonprofits, AZ Impact for Good, North Dakota Association of Nonprofit Organizations, Kentucky Nonprofit Network, Utah Nonprofits Association, and and Association of Kansas Nonprofits.