Saturday, October 22, 2022
Columbia Room at Vancouver Community Library
A daylong workshop for leaders of small, all or mostly volunteer organizations wanting to learn the basics on how to deliver on your mission.
Your organization exists to make a difference. A group of people got together—maybe including you—and founded a nonprofit corporation to tackle an important issue. That corporation is like a car. It has a shape and size, it needs to be registered, and the people in the car matter. You need fuel to propel it forward.
During Tools for Running an Effective Nonprofit, we will cover the basics of running a nonprofit. We will draw on tested tips and tools, including NAWA’s four learning toolkits on boards, finance, law, and planning. You will leave with concrete next steps on how to strengthen your organization to better achieve your mission. Join us on this road trip to a strong nonprofit!
- The right size for your organization to be sustainable
- Legal and finance information to compliance and protection
- Program design
- Volunteer management
- Grant readiness
You will leave ready to:
- Define to others what success looks like for your organization
- Name one way your organization can be more sustainable
- Name two elements to track for legal and financial compliance and protection
- Explain how your programs tie back to your mission
- Describe how your organization understands overhead
- List at least two things that need to be in a volunteer or board job description
- Name one way your organization can raise money without spending any money
A light meal will be served. There will be plenty of breaks for networking and connection, and you will have opportunities to ask about specific resources your organization needs.
Nonprofit Association of Washington is pleased to offer its members a discounted price. If you are interested in becoming a member, please find more information here.
- $45 – Members of Nonprofit Association of Washington (check the Member Resources Page for the Member-only Discount Code)
- $90 – Not-yet-Members of Nonprofit Association of Washington
Cost should not be a barrier to participate. Please contact us if you have any requests, concerns, or questions.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is designed for board, volunteers and staff of smaller organizations. Anyone who wants to know nonprofit basics and have concrete actions to move their organizations forward will find something in the day. While a team is not necessary, it is helpful to have at least two people from an organization.
Audio: Speakers will use a voice amplification system.
Interpretation: Please indicate during registration if you have an interpretation request. Typically, we need at least two weeks in order to schedule an interpreter.
Visual Descriptions: Presenters will include visual descriptions of themselves, slides, and other visual aids to give a person who is low-vision or blind a sense of space and place.
If you have additional accessibility requests, please let us know when you register.
About the Speaker
Rory Bowman has spent years as a volunteer and organizer with small groups, including experiences good and bad. He has also served as an executive director, with nearly two decades of experience on a variety of corporate boards, including for-profits, non-profits and cooperatives in Oregon and Washington. His background in education and adult education gives Rory a passion for helping all organizations get better, at any size and every level. As a consultant, he has a decidedly practical and “real-world” focus.